Need heavy duty character escaping

I'm still pulling out some XML and putting it into different formats. One
issue I'm having right now is that one of the sections contains Linux
commands, with pretty much every special character possible. When trying to
write this so that section becomes a PHP string it chokes on the special
characters.

Most notably $, but also { } and [ ]. I've tried htmlspeciachars and
addslashes, but need more. Using mysqli_real_escape_string seems to need a
DB connection.

Do I need to regex this or is there a better way?

Thanks!

Leam

--
Mind on a Mission <http://leamhall.blogspot.com/>