Re: Does a call to trigger_error ever return?

On 26 Oct 2013 at 09:43, Peter West <lists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> As it says. I'm a complete php nube, but form what I can see, and from
> some tests of interactive php, trigger_error is effectively an exit from
> the flow of control. (I'm not sure where it exits to, or how it can be
> made to change its mind.)
>
> So I need to confirm whether I have the right end of the stick, and I
> need to know, especially, if I ever need to provide for a return from
> trigger_error in the flow of code.

If you use for example an unitialised variable, such as in:

$i = $j;

where $j had not yet been set to some value, then generally speaking program flow is interrupted, possibly some messages may be put out, and your program exits. If you use trigger_error then I'd guess (without having tried it) that something similar occurs. To alter the behaviour of your program either on a real error or one you trigger, you can use set_error_handler which allows you to tell PHP that you want to use your own error handling function rather than PHP's. For fuller information, have a look at:

  <http://www.php.net/manual/en/book.errorfunc.php>

--
Cheers  --  Tim