Re: PHP vs JAVA

On 8/20/2013 10:00 AM, Tedd Sperling wrote:
> Hi guys:
>
> A teacher at my college made the statement that JAVA for Web Development is more popular than PHP.
>
> Where can I go to prove this right or wrong -- and/or -- what references do any of you have to support your answer? (sounds like a teacher, huh?)

While I don't have any references to back it up - my guess would be that
Java may be seen as more versatile in general programming terms.  A
staggering number of enterprise level web applications are built with
Java, add to that the possibility of writing Android apps with the same
knowledge.

Of course, there are many ways to make Android apps without Java - I've
written a few myself with simple HTML and Flash Builder.

I would say that, in general, the other teacher is incorrect speaking
strictly in terms of web development.  PHP has already won that crown
many times over.  That said, when I was in University, it was difficult
to find a programming class that taught anything but Java - and that was
10yrs ago now.  I chalked it up to the education bubble not being able
to see what the rest of the world is actually doing.