Re: how old is this version of PHP?

2013/8/19 Jeff Burcher <jeff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> I apologize if this is off topic, but this raises a question for me. Why
> can't new versions be backwards compatible? Is it really that difficult to
> accomplish? This has been a complaint of mine for years with Windows ever
> since we went from 95 to 98. I am an AS400 programmer and I have legacy
> programs written in RPG II, which died 20 years ago, and they still run
> fine
> on the newest version of AS400 or iSeries or Power System or whatever the
> heck it is called now. I also have PHP scripts that are many years old that
> work just fine the way they are, if a new version doesn't come along and
> make me have to reprogram for no reason just because it can't handle older
> code. Really, have Do loops and data calls changed that much over the
> years?
> I mean, all you do is set a condition, use a variable key field, and voila,
> data is pulled and processed, no big deal. Yeah, you can get fancy with it,
> but the core basics are still the same. I have been programming for over 35
> years and like to think that once a program is built it should run forever.
> Do we just accept that we have to rewrite every program we ever wrote every
> time a new version comes out? A little extreme, but you get my point.
> Comments? Suggestions?

My 2 cent: I hadn't any major issues with BC since 5.3 and from 5.2 it
required a little bit to do, but was solveable (means: It wasn't
complicated, but only an afternoon time to invest). Caine complaints from
time to time his codebase here. That is nothing new and I am unsure how
representative his statements are.

Regards,
Sebastian