Re: Set process custom identifier

On 2 Apr 2013, at 15:11, Sorin Badea <sorin.badea91@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm trying to implement a standalone threading component, and in current implementation I'm using `popen` to run a separate process with some arguments that I'm using to identify them (for example `php some_dummy_file.php -thread_id=<some_hash>`). This way when I'm trying to see which are my threads I don't have to check every stored pid and see if they are still up.

Personally I would be storing the PIDs somewhere, but that's just me.

The other way you could probably do it is by having the main script (the one executed on the command line) named something unique, the use dirname(__FILE__) to get that name from within that script. Then parse the PS output for that script name. You may need to exclude lines containing bash or similar depending on how the script was executed.

Seriously, PIDs are the way to go! Based on what you've put above you already have some sort of storage that's tracking threads (they have a hash), so why not add the PID to that? Or, even better, use the PID as that hash?

-Stuart

--
Stuart Dallas
3ft9 Ltd