Re: significance of escape character in string in PHP

On 18 Mar 2013, at 15:08, Matijn Woudt <tijnema@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 2:19 PM, Sebastian Krebs <krebs.seb@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

>>> You should be using either mysql_real_escape_string or
>>> mysqli_real_escape_string (preferably the later) depending on how you're
>>> accessing the DB.
>>

>> You shouldn't use ext/mysql at all!
>> Use prepared statements with PDO_MYSQL or MySQLi
>>

> And here comes the flame war again...

There's no need for it to be a flame war. The mysql extension is officially not recommended for writing new code, so anyone using it should be informed of this fact. I think it should consist of more than "don't use that," but at the very least that should cause the questioner to want to know why.

http://php.net/intro.mysql

This issue is problematic for exactly the reason Norah demonstrates above: "it's working." Great that in this case it hasn't been left at that, but most will see it work and think they've "got it right." I believe the community has a responsibility to give good advice and recommend best practices as well as directly addressing people's problems, so it's right that things like this get repeatedly pointed out where appropriate.

-Stuart

--
Stuart Dallas
3ft9 Ltd