Re: Re: Accessing Files Outside the Web Root - Progress Report 1

At 01:26 PM 3/14/2013, Jim Giner wrote:

>I don't think you ever want the filename buried in the web page.

Why not? The file itself is outside the root. In any case the finished product will use tokens instead of filenames. While I am working out the bugs it is easier to use filenames. I use an incremental approach to programming (and have used that approach ever since I moved from batch programming to time-shared terminals over 40 years ago).

>Plus - easy way to specify a path outside of your webroot:

That is precisely what I indicated that I was doing, using &_SERVER["DOCUMENT_ROOT"], and then using truncation and concatenation.

Dale H. Cook, Member, NEHGS and MA Society of Mayflower Descendants;
Plymouth Co. MA Coordinator for the USGenWeb Project
Administrator of http://plymouthcolony.net