Re: Re: Open form in new window

On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 8:37 AM, Jim Giner <jim.giner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 3/4/2013 11:04 PM, tamouse mailing lists wrote:
>>
>> I would like to just take a step back and ponder what the user
>> experience of this will be. Click a submit button, one of *many* as
>> the OP says, and a new browser window opens? I don't think that is how
>> most people experience the web these days. Technicalities of how one
>> does this notwithstanding, I am urging the OP to consider their users.
>>
> The OP's use of the word 'many' is subjective.  Too you it might mean 5, to
> him it could very well mean 3.  To me, either one is possible on many of my
> forms, since I try to provide the user with flexibility and function on each
> of my screens.  Sometimes there are several things that a form could lead
> to, depending upon what the user needs to see or do.
>
> In this case, I can see the purpose for a separate window being opened.
> Sometimes (as a user myself) I have wished to have a screen of data appear
> to support my primary screen's use.  It opens, I get some new input and I
> close it, going back to where I was.
>
> We obviously don't know the OP's task, but I can see usefulness and
> appreciate it.
>
> Just my $.02

Yes, it's all subjective, yes, what you like may not be what I like,
and so on. Yet, UX people do agree on many things, and this is one of
them. Popping a new browser window should be the user's choice. Not
doing so leads to not only confusion, but also a11y problems. Which
window gets focus? How does the user get back? These are real
considerations when someone has to use a screen reader, or Voiceover.
Navigating various windows can also be a problem for people with
restricted mobility.