Re: Introduction ... !

On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 11:56 AM, Daniel Brown <danbrown@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 12:54 PM, Jim Giner <jim.giner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> What gives you such optimism?  I recently saw a list of languages in use and
>> PHP has dropped quite a bit over the last 5 or more years.
>> Being a relative newbie myself, I'm happy that PHP exists and is so readily
>> available to us hobbyists, etc.  Certainly am in favor of your optimism, but
>> curious (hey it's Friday!) about your prediction.
>
>     Just knowing how the patterns go.  It's always the same, and it
> will likely be the same again.  No guarantees, but all it takes is a
> bit of fostering of the community to return it to a decently-vibrant
> forum.
>
> --
> </Daniel P. Brown>
> Network Infrastructure Manager
> http://www.php.net/
>
> --

Things come, things go, ebb and flow. PHP is easy for people to pick
on, for some good and not so good reasons. It, to me, is still the
easiest programming language for someone to learn, in *NO* small
reason because of all the excellent documentation and community
contributed comments. And places like this list.

I've been working in Rails for the past several months, and although I
much prefer Ruby as a language, the documentation on libraries,
extensions, packages, and frameworks is rather lacking. The ruby doc
website has the space for users to add comments, but there's hardly
any.