Very Large File Splatter

PHP 5.4.4-TS-VC9 on Windows XP SP3 NTFS non-system drive with 18GB free.

I dare not try to replicate this. As such, I cannot firmly place the blame on PHP.

I have peppered a PHP application with a call to a function which appends-only to a logfile the parameters passed to it. Each pass of the application creates many MB of content.

It is conceivable that I ran out of hard drive space.

When that which what I was working on seemed to be acting very weird, I rebooted the computer only to see thousands of lines scroll by from Windows repairing the file system.

I discovered logfile contents in many dozens of files. The timestamp and filesize of the damaged files were not changed. Only the contents replaced with slices of the logfile.

Again, I'm not going to try to 'intentionally' replicate this, so I ask:

Has PHP's interface with the NTFS file sub-system ever been reported to splatter a file across the contents of a drive?