Cold Intermediate Programmer trying to modularize website...

Intro --
Sorry to post in php.general .  Just found the newserver, and I'm still
trying to figure out where to post this question.
Thus, I posted in .general ... either to get help or find out in which
newsgroup I should post my question.  Thank you.

Website description --
(have included files from the website as reference)
The site runs all CSS through one "style.css" for all div declarations.
I have attached a zip which includes the index.html file, the style.css
and the cgi directory with multiple contact*.php for each different link
as a sample of where I'm starting from.
On each page, there is a header block (with a contact*.php link),
navigation tabs and a navigation menu, a left column, a right column, an
article, and a footer (with a contact*.php link).
Each page has an article, like index.html.

First part of question (php-focused)--
I'd like to change the multiple contact.php modules that I call from the
../cgi/ directory into one contact.php program that can receive a string
paramenter.
I'd like to pass a parameter string into the new contact.php which would
contain a label which identifies the link that was clicked to call the
single contact.php and be put on the header line (currently hard-coded
in multiple copies of contact*.php).  This is to track which link was
clicked on which page... as you can see by the naming convention of my
contact*.php modules.

Second point of discussion
(more HTML grabbed from PHP to complete the page) --
I'd like to (use index.html from the zip attachment as an example) strip
any blocks that do not change between pages (ie, most of the header
except the link for contact*.php, or the label sent to the new
contact.php from the point above) and put them into another file that
would be included into each page.
I'd really like to "template" stuff into template part includes, and use
them to simplify the different pages.
The real reason behind this is that the business owner wants to be able
to edit the middle column (the "article") so that they can update parts
of the site themselves.  I have warned her that she doesn't want to do
this, but she insists. If I put their articles into a ./articles/
directory, and give them the extension .article, I can set up a Windows
Explorer folder shortcut to the ./articles/ directory, and install
Notepad+ on her computer, and define .article to only work with
Notepad+... and educate her not to change anything but the text of her
article...