Re: Pear Page2

On Sat, Jan 5, 2013 at 8:52 AM, Ashley Sheridan <ash@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
> On Sat, 2013-01-05 at 15:23 +0100, Silvio Siefke wrote:
>> On Sat, 05 Jan 2013 07:53:04 +0000
>> Ashley Sheridan <ash@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> > I'm not sure quite what you'd expect such a module to do? Is this for
>> > templating?
>>
>> page2 creates complete websites. Would be useful because I'm sitting
>> at the website internationalization. Template engines seem complicated.

> I've just had a quick look at page2, and I can't say I see the point.
> You'd end up having to write a lot more code that was harder to manage
> by adding each element through a class like that if your site got even
> moderately complicated.
>
> There are many templating engines, and some are more complicated than
> others, don't write them off just yet. Technically speaking, page2 is a
> template engine of a kind, so you're already using one.

To build on Ash's remarks, I'd say don't over-engineer and complicate
your application. HTML5 is dead easy to write directly -- unless you
think your application is going to need to generate different flavours
of (X)HTML, it may not be worth going the full-programmatic route like
Page2 does. Internationalization is a pretty complex thing in and of
itself (language preference detection, message catalog management,
localized formatting, etc) that to also make the other parts of the
presentation that complex are probably not where you want to spend
your time.