Re: cron job problem

On 10/23/2012 6:57 PM, Ashley Sheridan wrote:
On Tue, 2012-10-23 at 18:36 -0400, Jim Giner wrote:

On 10/23/2012 6:18 PM, David OBrien wrote:
On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 5:31 PM, Daniel Brown <danbrown@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 5:34 PM, Ashley Sheridan
<ash@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Crontab is the daemon which runs cron jobs, and some distros have set up
special files called cron.daily (or daily.cron I don't recall),
cron.hourly, etc to make it easier to schedule jobs.

      Quick clarification and correction here:

          The cron *daemon* is crond, while the *script* that is
batch-processed by cron is called the crontab.  When it is executed,
it is referred to as a cron job.

      That said, Ash is right about the rest.  Different OS flavors
(BSD, Linux, UNIX, SunOS/Solaris, HP-UX, et cetera) often use
different path and file standards.  Linux, in general, uses a command
`crontab` which opens the local user's environment-configured editor
to modify the user's crontab in the spool.

--
</Daniel P. Brown>
Network Infrastructure Manager

script runs
ntp updates server time
script runs again?

But why now?  This process has been running just fine for months.

Have you tried removing the job entirely from cron and re-adding it? It
might be enough to kick-start the process into behaving.

Yes my host asked me to do that earlier.  And nope - no better.

I have told them it's gotta be something on their end because I tested the script from a browser displaying what it was doing and it ran fine. Removed my debug settings and ran it from a browser and again it ran fine. Re-scheduled the cron task and it ran wrong.