Re: foreach

On Monday, October 15, 2012 08:21:23 PM you wrote:
> Bastien Koert
>
> On 2012-10-15, at 8:16 PM, David McGlone <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I've been sitting here playing around with foreach() and I'm wondering why
> > I am getting these results. here's what I've been fooling around with.
> > the code has no perticular meaning, but I noticed if the script fails, I
> > get the sentence "Too expensive I'm going home LOL" 6 times because there
> > are 6 words in the sentence. I also have a database that looks like this:
> >
> > product_id        product        price
> > 1                Milk        2.59
> > 2                bread        1.05
> >
> > And when $row is equal to 0 the output I get is
> > 1 1 Milk Milk 2.59 2.59 Which is printed to the screen according to how
> > many rows are in the db I belive.
> >
> > So my question is why this behavior? I was expecting something like a
> > while
> > loop.
>
> Dave,
>
> Foreach is an iterator over an array. Your $row is a pointer to a db result
> set. If you were to pass the $row result set to the foreach as an array,
> you'd get what you think you should
>
> Www.php.net/foreach

Thanks Bastien.
Heres what I started with:

$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM items");
$row = mysql_fetch_array($result);
foreach($row as $rows){
$row = 0;
if($row == 0){
echo $rows;
} else{
echo "Too expensive I'm going home LOL";
}
}

Here's what I ended up with after you gave me the advise:
$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM items");
  $rows = array();
  while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result))
   $rows[] = $row;
  foreach($rows as $row){
  $product = $row['product'];
  $price = $row['price'];
    echo "$product ";
    echo "$price ";

    $justright = 0;
    $toohigh = 5; //I was going to use this to check if the price was too high
				just so I could use an elseif in the exercise, but I realized that
				it would only work if the if() evaluated to false, which would be
				impossible. Ahhh pizz on it, it was fun anyway! :-)

    if($justright <= $price){
     echo "Not bad. I'll buy it.<br />";
      } else
     echo "Too expensive I'm going home LOL ";

  }

It's a dumb script that makes no sense but I had a blast doing this. When
things start coming together like this, it gets so gratifying. :-)

 --
David M.