Re: Re: Differences

On 10/4/2012 7:08 PM, David McGlone wrote:
On Thursday, October 04, 2012 06:06:50 PM Jim Giner wrote:
On 10/3/2012 8:48 PM, David McGlone wrote:
Hi everyone, I have been playing around with some code the list helped me
with a while back and I'm not grasping the concept between return and
echo and the PHP manual doesn't answer this, unless I'm missing
something. There is an example at the very bottom of PHP's return manual,
but it's confusing.

So now I'm left wondering why return will only give me the first result in
an array, but echo will give me all the results of the array. Using
stuart's example he had sent me a while back I've messed around with it
and modified it to better understand it:

function filename($prefix)
{

    $matches = glob('images/property_pics/'.$prefix.'*');
    foreach($matches as $filename){
    return $filename;

           }

}

echo completeImageFilename($row['MLS_No']);

With the above code I only get the first image of each picture name, but
when I change return to echo, it groups and displays all the pics that
have the same picture name.

--
David M.

I've read thru 9 responses to the OP and not one of you mentioned that
the code presented is problematic in itself.  Very forgiving, but
perhaps someone should have suggested that he post "actual code" when
looking for help in the future, and not some typing that is supposed to
represent the problem.

In this case, I"m looking for the function he called
"completeImageFilename"

:):)

Uh Oh, we're in trouble ;-)

Sorry about that Jim, I accidently typed the wrong function name. Here's the
corrected code.  Everybody's answer was spot on and I learned a great deal
about return and echo. :-)

function completeImageFilename($prefix)
{
   $matches = glob('images/property_pics/'.$prefix.'*');
   foreach($matches as $filename){
   return $filename;
          }
}

echo completeImageFilename($row['MLS_No']);

Hopefully you got my point tho - don't post code that is not THE ACTUAL CODE that you are running.