Re: RES: Day after Friday

On Sep 23, 2012, at 10:17 AM, Samuel Lopes Grigolato <samuel.grigolato@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Independent of programming language, good teaching skills will lead to self-taught developers with a bunch of best practices under the hood. I hope you are such a good teacher =). We need not PHP or Java developers, we need good and creative designers that can adapt to new tools.
>
> One language is only a path among others with the same goal, software with quality. Remember Brooks (1986, yes, that old!), the real problem (essence of software engineering) is capture business requirements as specifications, and not translate specifications to software.
>
> The point is, you, as a teacher, has a wider responsibility, you need to find and incentive creative talents, not just teach one or another native function.
>
> Cheers.
> Samuel.

I think I have a handle on that.

What I tell my students is "I can't teach you computer programming, it's you pounding keyboards and seeing how the computer responds is what teaches you coding."

I also show them the similarities between different languages thus giving my students the confidence to develop code in any language. After all, programming languages are constantly changing (or dying) and they all are getting closer together in syntax and function. IMO, in the future, we'll have one common computer programming language.

In short, I'll give them the tools, but it is up to them to implement them.

Cheers,

tedd