Re: Day after Friday

On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 09:33:33AM -0400, Tedd Sperling wrote:

> On Sep 22, 2012, at 3:59 PM, Paul M Foster <paulf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 01:05:51PM -0400, Tedd Sperling wrote:
> >
> >> Hi gang:
> >>
> >> I know it's the Day after Friday, but I'm asking a off-topic
> >> question anyway -- sorry.
> >>
> >> Normally, I teach a PHP class at the local college, but it got
> >> canceled (don't ask why) -- now I'm teaching Java.
> >>
> >> So, can anyone recommend a Java list that is similar to this list?
> >
> > Off off topic...
> >
> > Who the hell cancels a PHP class? Do they not realize damn near the
> > whole internet runs on PHP? Wordpress, Drupal, Joomla, Facebook ad
> > nauseum, not to mention Symfony, CakePHP, Code Igniter, etc.
> > Administrators! Ach!
> >
> > Paul

[snip]

> This is just another example of how administration makes decisions. It
> would be nice if administration decisions were made with respect to
> "what is best for the student" as compared to this type of nonsense.

You know, I never had much respect for academia (no offense, Tedd;
that's not aimed at you), and this just confirms my contempt.
Administrators tend to completely lack common sense. And professors tend
to be arrogant and suffer from a lack of understanding of the real world
and real people. Add to this the skyrocketing cost of higher education.
Particularly when many of the things learned in school are either
unnecessary or could be learned just as well by the diligent student
through books and research on the internet. (Incidentally, when I was a
kid, my best friend's father was a university professor. Brilliant
economist who hated tenure.)

And from what I've seen, even at the primary level, decisions are rarely
made on the basis of "what is best for the student". We're dealing with
this currently with my granddaughter (11 years old). The only saving
grace of the whole system appears to be individual teachers who manage
to look past all the crap and hold the line for students.

What a pity.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster