Re: Bounce messages

On 09/21/2012 12:22 PM, Jeff Burcher wrote:
Hi,

I don't know if this is specifically what he is referring to when he
 says, "the 'reply to sender' email handling camp ", but I know that
when I just click Reply it goes to the individual whose post I am
commenting on. I need to click on Reply All and several emails are
in the blanks and I need to delete them all and move the list email
address from the CC: box to the TO: box. If I am not paying attention
and don't do this little email musical chairs process, sometimes I
will get out of office replies from some of the email addresses in
the reply. Is this 'bouncing'?

Technically, it is called back scatter. And SPAMers can use it to send SPAM to unsuspecting servers. And http://www.backscatterer.org loves to block mail servers that have auto responders turned on.

Jeff

-----Original Message-----
From: Ashley Sheridan [mailto:ash@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, September 21, 2012 2:56 PM
To: Jim Lucas
Cc: Lester Caine; php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  Bounce messages

On Fri, 2012-09-21 at 09:56 -0700, Jim Lucas wrote:

On 09/21/2012 12:40 AM, Lester Caine wrote:
I know that the php list are one of the 'reply to sender' email
handling camp rather than reply to list. I can cope with that now
and handle the multiple reply address problem this end so I ONLY
reply to list. BUT is there no way of cleaning up the bounce emails
we all get when posting to the list(s)?

( Waits to delete all the bounce messages for this post :) )

Doing a little checking on your IP address, I have found that your
mail server IP is listed on a black list.  Check the link below.

http://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=blacklist%3a213.123.20.127

This could be the source of your bounce messages.

--
Jim Lucas

http://www.cmsws.com/
http://www.cmsws.com/examples/

I sporadically get a lot of messages that appear as bounces where people on
the list filter out replies and make you sign up to some web service to prove
you're a real person. Is that the sort of bounce you're talking about?

--
Thanks,
Ash

--