Re: array.sorting.php

David OBrien wrote:
On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 1:15 PM, John Taylor-Johnston <jt.johnston@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:jt.johnston@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Hi,
    Sorting question. http://www.php.net/manual/en/array.sorting.php
    I'm using ksort, which sorts like this.
    I don't want to use strolower.
    Is there a function/switch in one of the sort functions where I
    could get another aphabetical sort?

    http://www.php.net/manual/en/array.sorting.php has a lot of
    options. I,m not sure which one I should choose.

    This is what I get:

    LABRADOR CITY
    LACOSTA
    LARGE
    Labrador
    Labrador City
    Labrador Sea
    Lacosta
    Large
    labrador
    labrador sea
    lacosta
    large

    This is what I want:

    LABRADOR
    Labrador
    labrador
    LABRADOR CITY
    Labrador City
    Labrador Sea
    labrador sea
    LACOSTA
    Lacosta
    lacosta
    LARGE
    Large
    large

natsort
natcasesort
I'm sorting the key. It doesn't work. ksort is the only choice I have, right?

Ok, let's approach this question differently.
Right now the frequency of each word is in value.
How do I put the frequency of each word in the key?

I'm fuzzy when it comes to arrays. I can do this is MySQL. All I need is an id and two varchars and then I know how to sort any way I want. But I am processing dynamic text files. MySQL is not an option; data changes too much. PHP is faster and more efficient. I'm just no good at arrays.

Here is my code:
$mynewstring = "http://foo.com/bigtextfile.txt";;

$words = preg_split('/[[:space:]]+/',$mynewstring);

foreach ($words as $word) {
    $freq[$word]++;
}

#natcasesort($freq);