syntax error breaking in and out of php into html code

I've just inherited some (pretty awful code) that I have to make some
edits to, and came across a bit of a problem. A lot of the code breaks
in and out of PHP and into HTML code:

 <?php
while(condition)
{
?>
<li>some html here</li>
<?php
}
?>

But when I check this my PHP parser is saying that this is a syntax
error (checked in the browser and CLI). I know this is code from a
working site, so it must be a setting within my PHP configuration.

Now, I'm intending to re-write this anyway, as the logic is all over the
place (SQL queries within the HTML, no separation of code and content,
dozens of warnings all over the place) but I was wondering what setting
causes this. It's mostly a curiosity thing really, as this thing is
going to be re-written faster than an school project the eve before
hand-in.

--
Thanks,
Ash