Re: Dynamic Content thoughts

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 9:48 PM, Jim Lucas <lists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Well, not to talk bad about Gmail (I use it for personal accounts), but I
>>> like using a client that I do have some control over what it does to my
>>> email.  Making sure that it retains my formatting is one of my first
>>> requirements.
>>

>> That's where we have different requirements. My first priority is
>> speed, both in access (email clients tend to be slow), and in delivery
>> time. I really need emails to be delivered to my PC instantly, and
>> that's not the case with POP3 and IMAP. Even push mail to my Android
>> smartphone with original Gmail app is faster than POP or IMAP.
>>
>> - Matijn
>>

> IMAP is not fast enough?  I have my own mail server running SMTP & IMAP and
> I use Thunderbird w/IMAP and when my mail server receives an email within 1
> to 2 seconds my client is notified.  I'm not sure how you can get much
> faster then that.
>
> You realize that IMAP works completely differently then POP.  POP clients
> fetch the mail.  Normally on some preset time frame.  IMAP clients are
> notified by the server when a new message arrives.  As long as your IMAP
> client is open and logged into your account, that notification process will
> take less then a couple seconds.
>
> I cannot see how IMAP is slow.

Might be of some other issues, don't know. Tried Outlook (Terrible,
especially with Gmail), and Thunderbird (Works OK, e-mails tend to
deliver after ~5 sec). With Gmail web interface (and Desktop
notifications in Chrome), I receive mails in less than a second. On my
Android phone I usually receive them within 1-2 sec, though that
depends on connection. Note that with fast, I mean, really fast ;)

- Matijn