Re: Cost of redirect and site domain switch? Good Practice/ Bad Practice / Terrible Practice

2012/8/20 Jim Giner <jim.giner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> On 8/20/2012 12:19 AM, Jim Lucas wrote:

>> No.
>>
>> Quick Google search turns up this:
>>
>> http://www.uvsc.edu/disted/**decourses/dgm/2120/IN/steinja/**
>> lessons/06/06_04.html<http://www.uvsc.edu/disted/decourses/dgm/2120/IN/steinja/lessons/06/06_04.html>
>>
>> I have three description or types of paths that I use normally.
>>
>> I feel the first two generally get grouped together by most persons.
>>
>> Full or complete path:
>> ">Home</a>
>>
>> Absolute Path:
>>
>> Relative:
>>
>> --
>> Jim Lucas
>> http://cmsws.com
>>

>>  Anything that does not "absolutely" define something, is "relative" to
> the current context.  In this case since your href does not mention the
> sitename, in my book that equates to something relative.

absolute path != absolute (or better "full-qualified") URL/URI. Therefore
"/foo/bar" is an absolute path, but a relative URI.

> Count me as one person who would never lump the first two ex. into one.
>  The simple device of using the leading slash to start the href indicates
> its "relativity" to the the home folder of the site.

The document-root. The home of the user the webserver/interpreter is
running on may be somewhere else.

> The lack of a leading slash indicates its "relativity" to the current
> folder.

Relative to the current path. Especially with rewrites "folder" and "path"
can be completely different.