Re: Cost of redirect and site domain switch? Good Practice / Bad Practice / Terrible Practice

On Aug 18, 2012 4:49 PM, "Paul M Foster" <paulf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I can comment on part of this based on what I was recently told by an
> SEO company. Let's assume you've got a bunch of SEO "goodness"
> (recognition, Google search placement, etc.) going for you on site1.com.
> If you a permanent redirect (301) to site2.com, all that SEO goodness
> will transfer straight across to the new site.
>
> You may take this with whatever grain of salt you like, considering it
> comes from an SEO company and I consider SEO companies almost uniformly
> liars and ripoff artists who generally have no earthly idea what they're
> talking about. In this case, what they're saying makes sense to me, and
> I suspect it's true.

    That doesn't sound right to me.  If so, I'd presume a lot of folks
would be doing that as a service.  I have several PR6-8 domains myself, and
could see how someone (not me) might say, "since I'm really not using these
domains anyway, I'll 301 to a paying customer for them to include their
ranking."  If for no other reason than I haven't heard of folks doing this
(read: SPAM), I'd guess it's not true.

    Still, other folks are far more knowledgeable than Yours Truly when it
comes to SEO.  Just for good measure, I've CC'd one (Thiago Pojda) to see
if he'd be interested in chiming in on the matter.