Re: Cost of redirect and site domain switch? Good Practice / Bad Practice / Terrible Practice

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 4:30 PM, Tristan <sunnrunner@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> My colleague is saying
>
> "but I still think we should change all the references to someolddomain.com
> to some newdomain, especially in the code base, database etc..."
>
> I don't want to introduce more problems if a find/replace doesn't go right.
> Is there any valid reason for doing the quoted above or any argument against
> doing that.

    If you have the luxury of time and resources, your colleague is
absolutely correct.  In fact, now might be the ideal time to convert
all hard-coded values to a variable or definition that need only be
changed once should this recur.

    Either way, the find/replace should definitely be done.  Should
anything happen to the original domain - expiration, transfer, or even
a temporary DNS routing issue - you're screwed.  You can't 301 from
something that isn't there in the first place (though, for good
measure, you can 301 *to* anything you'd like).  From Linux, it's
simple to write a 'for' loop to find, cat, and sed everything in the
*.php, *.inc, *.html, etc. files, and database options are even
easier.  That said, of course, make sure you've got everything backed
up just before you change the stuff, should things go awry --- and
without a current backup, you can bet your ass they will.  Murphy's
Law.

--
</Daniel P. Brown>
Network Infrastructure Manager