Re: Is PHP unsuitable for HTML5 WebSockets?

On 8/12/2012 12:06 PM, BRIAN M. FITZPATRICK wrote:
I've looked all over the net and I have been unable to find a concrete answer to this question. I am about to start development on a web application that will need to provide real-time updates of data to user's browsers. WebSockets are ideal for this task.

I have read in some places on the net that PHP is not suitable for WebSockets due to it's nature. That WebSockets are designed for long running threads/processes which each maintain multiple event-driven connections, whereas PHP was designed around the short-lived single process procedural paradigm.

Yet on the other hand I see lots of guides and libraries (such as http://socketo.me/) on the net that deal with PHP WebSockets. So I don't know what to think at this stage. Is PHP a suitable platform for developing a web application that requires WebSockets?

Back in 2007, I wrote a cli php script to run as a socket server for a game I was playing at the time. It has been running on every server I've put together since then. To say that PHP isn't suited to this type of service is wrong.

Give it a shot.  Can't hurt to try.

Jim