Re: Too many open files

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 10:22 AM, Robert Cummings <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 12-08-09 08:01 PM, Al wrote:
>> I can't find a way to see what files could be open or what the limit is.
>>
>> Site is on a shared server, cPanel.
>
>                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> THIS is probably your problem. Too many open files indicates that either the
> user OR the OS has reached its limit of allowed open file handles. Open
> files are those used by the OS and every user on the shared server. The
> setting can be changed but you'll need an administrator to increase the
> number of allowed open files. I suspect it's at the OS level if indeed you
> only have 100 files open (though you likely have more due to files opened
> for you by the OS or whatnot.

    Rob is exactly right.  This is managed via the kernel and ulimit,
to prevent excessive resource usage.  Often it's a temporary problem,
but if it consistently occurs, your host may either be improperly
configured or, more likely, overselling resources.

--
</Daniel P. Brown>
Network Infrastructure Manager