Too many open files

Getting "Too many open files" error when processing an email batch process.

The batch size is actually rather small and the email text is small likewise.

I've looked extensively and can't find more than about 100 files that could be open. All my fetching is with get_file_contents();

I can't find a way to see what files could be open or what the limit is.

Site is on a shared server, cPanel.

I've googled extensively but can't find much to help analyze the problem. Only solutions I can find involve having the host tech people up the file limit. I don't generally like this for a solution because my application is designed to run shared hosts.

Opinion... Would using a cache for my main file possibly help the problem. It gets called about 30 times per php page executed.

Thanks....