RE: Creating drop-down menus - use AJAX and jQuery

Hold on there fireball.

* jQuery for production (minified) is a scant 32k. http://jquery.com/
  LOL That's like a TCP/IP packet. I bet your images are bigger than 32k.

* Unlike stupid PHP frameworks (which everyone knows I detest)
  - JS frameworks are cached by the browser so there is no download on every
page
  - JS frameworks take all the bullshit browser discrepancies out of your
way

* once you start using jQuery, you will <3 it and use it for many other
tasks
  you'd beat your head against a wall in plain old JS to do.

* All the plugins to add extra functionality make it that much more enticing

I've not tried YUI or Google's JS framework, but I can tell you that
jQuery pretty much rocks harder than Pantera and you're doing yourself,
and your customers a disservice if you're not using it.

We get nearly 30,000 hits per second (yes PER SECOND) and have no problems
using jQuery and many plugins and various .css files

We use this too to cram all the .js and .css into one 'package':
http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/compressor/