RE: Creating drop-down menus

-----Original Message-----
From: Ramiro Barrantes [mailto:ramiro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, July 16, 2012 3:17 PM
To: php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject:  Creating drop-down menus

Hello,

I am making an application using PHP/Javascript/mysql and had a question.

Sometimes I need to use javascript to fill a drop down box based on the
value of a previous drop down box.  However, the information to fill the
latter is stored in mysql and can be a lot, what I have been doing is that,
using PHP, I create hidden fields with all the possible information that
might be needed to fill the second drop down.

For example, the user chooses a bank from a drop down, and then a list of
clients is displayed on the following drop down.  I use PHP to read all
clients from all the banks and put that as hidden fields on the html page.
It is very cumbersome.

I do not want to read the database (which changes dynamically) from
javascript directly due to confidentiality and because a lot of care has
been taken to create the appropriate  queries with checks and protect misuse
of the information using PHP.

My questions are:
1) Do people just normally use hidden fields to store possible information
to fill the drop downs?
2) any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Ramiro

**

You could also store the information as a session variable.

Jen