Re: Re: Seeking a scheduling algorithm

On Jul 14, 2012 5:34 PM, "Bill Guion" <bguion@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Jul 14, 2012, at 4:53 PM, php-general-digest-help@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > From: Tedd Sperling <tedd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > Subject: Seeking a scheduling algorithm
> > Date: July 14, 2012 4:53:15 PM EDT
> > To: php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >

> > Hi gang:
> >
> > Does anyone have a resource, or better yet code, to solve the
scheduling problem described below?

> > Let's say you have a week calendar that has openings between 8:00am to
5:00pm for Monday through Friday (40 hours).

> > Then you have an assortment of appointments that must be scheduled into
the week calendar. Some of the appointments are simply a one hour per week,
while others may be two, three, four, or five times per week and each
appointment for an hour or more (up to eight hours).

> > The problem is, knowing what appointments (i.e., twice a week for 2
hours, three times a week for one hour, etc.) must be scheduled for the
week, what is the most efficient way to schedule these appointments into
that week?

> > The most efficient way is defined as scheduling appointments with
little, or no, gaps in between appointments. For example, four one-hour
appointments on Monday between 8:00am to 12:00pm is better than four
one-hour appointments spread out between 8:00am to 5:00pm.

> > Anyone have any solutions, ideas, resources, code?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > tedd
> >
> > _____________________
> > tedd@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> > http://sperling.com
> >

> Tedd,
>
> There is an old general rule that the most time efficient way to schedule
is to put the "big" time requests on the schedule first. In this case, that
would mean schedule all five times a week requests first, then the four
times a week, then the three times a week. The two hour requests should be
scheduled next: three times a week and twice a week can be scheduled at the
same time. Then fill in the rest with the one hour requests.

> Hope that makes sense.

> --
>
> A closed mouth gathers no feet.

What this sounds like, to me, is quite similar to either a memory
allocation scheme or a disc defragmenting scheme. I haven't worked either
of those since I went to Jurassic United, though...