Destructor not called when extending SimpleXMLElement

Afternoon all.

I seem to be having a little trouble with extending the
SimpleXMLElement class. I would like to add a destructor to the
subclass, but am finding that it is not called.

Attached is a minimal demonstration of the problem. The XMLConfig
class extends SimpleXMLElement, and its destructor is not called. The
XMLConfig2 class, which does not use inheritance, does have its
destructor called.

The test platform is CentOS 6.2, with PHP version 5.3.3.

What am I missing?

Thanks for your help.
Nick.

--