Re: Depreciation message I can't make out....

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 1:44 PM, Gary Lebowitz <gurqinfo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am running Moodle 2.2.3 and using PHP 5.3 on a Linux server with GoDaddy
> and am getting the message about "depreciation" after having typed the
> following command into their cron job manager:
>  /web/cgi-bin/php5_3 "$HOME/html/moodle223a/admin/cli/cron.php"
>
>  PHP Deprecated:  Comments starting with '#' are deprecated in
> /web/conf/php5.ini on line 1256 in Unknown on line 0
> PHP Deprecated:  Comments starting with '#' are deprecated in
> /web/conf/php5.ini on line 1257 in Unknown on line 0
> <b>Deprecated</b>:  Directive 'magic_quotes_gpc' is deprecated in PHP 5.3

    Comment-out, using semicolons (;), any comments in your
/web/conf/php5.ini file that begin with the hashmark (#), and then
also comment-out (;) the magic_quotes_gpc line.

> GoDaddy says that I am using a command that is not adapted to version 5.3
> of PHP, but they suggested I contact you to fix it. Also, I do not believe
> I have access to php5.ini; only they do. But I would need to tell them how
> to fix this issue. And no one at Moodle.org seems to be able to help.
> Perhaps it's a Moodle thing; perhaps not, but I thought it wise to contact
> you. By the way, this message is only sent to me when using version 5.3 of
> PHP; I have another Moodle site using 5.2 and things go perfectly well,
> without this message.

    That's typical of GoDaddy.  Not only will they do nothing about it
(if they are even able to figure it out), but they'll give you bad
advice.  This is a public peer-support mailing list.  We cannot (and
will not) fix things for people.  Further, if GoDaddy is responsible
for the maintenance of the machine (and they probably are, as I
presume it's a shared hosting environment), they need to fix it.
They're the ones who screwed it up in the first place.

--
</Daniel P. Brown>
Network Infrastructure Manager