Cookie use management

Not directly a PHP problem, but since PHP tends to automatically create a session cookie I thought it appropriate to ask here first.

The European rules on asking permission to use cookies have been around for a year now, and very few sites seem to be worrying about it until now, but press coverage is flagging that the ICO in the UK will start 'prosecuting' next week. Not exactly what the ICO are saying themselves, as they would prefer that the BROWSERS defaulted to cookies being blocked generally, so every cookie action requires approval locally anyway. Session cookies could be claimed to be exempt, but with the increasing hidden use of Google Analytics or in my case Piwik, WE become responsible or all that activity and so a few 'commercial' sites are appearing offering chargeable services to manage this for you.

I've been trying to dig down through the google results to find anything open source that provides something easily bolted on to existing PHP sites to intercept cookie use before it actually happens. My reading of the rules would suggest that simply adding a session cookie is acceptable as long as the site identifies they are being used, but until there is some 'case law', actually practice is very grey? Pop-up is obviously out of the question since that can be blocked, and even javascript could be blocked so what can be relied on to 'Obtain permission before using a cookie'?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL