Re: requesting comments on rajmvServiceLog (access + error logging through PHP and JS to MySQL)

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 1:17 PM, Simon Schick
<simonsimcity@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi, Rene
>
> I took a quick look over your code ...
>
> I kind-of like the idea having all logging at one place, but the code is a
> bit too messy if you ask me :)
> If you would have put it on github and I would fork it - the first thing I'd
> do is trying to get rid of the hm-lib and rewriting all in a bit more
> object-oriented style, but that's just personal taste ;)
> Specially the function rajmvServiceLog_graphs_raphael_calculateData() with a
> code of ca. 280 lines is quite long ...

280 lines is long?! :)

> Additionally I think that setting an error-handler who's just returning
> false is not a good way. Why not disable error-handling or write code that
> produces no errors?

returning false in an error handler means "do the default error handler plz"..

> I think it would be good to mention that you're using the library adodb
> (http://adodb.sourceforge.net/) and sitewide_rv (is it
> that? http://mediabeez.ws/) or am I guessing wrong?
>
> You're talking about a sql-file ... has my anti-virus-program removed
> something here?

Could have, I did include it as an attachment in my OP.

> Please don't see that as destructive critic, but as hints what I would do if
> I get to do with this code.

I don't think your words are destructive criticism ;)

> Bye
> Simon

Yes, this rajmvServiceLog is tied into other components of mine that
I've opensourced at http://mediabeez.ws
And I agree it's not perfect yet by any standard..

hm.php is used for it's memory-efficient json encoding routines, to
write out the results without building up a large text string with
json_encode().

I'm not inclined to make the PHP code object oriented at this time,
but once released I would allow anyone to OOP it.
I will OOP the javascripts though.

I also don't think I'm going to host my opensourced code (including
this analytics code) on github, I put out a .zip on
http://mediabeez.ws instead, but you can still fork as far as I'm
concerned. I often develop new code that updates older components in
the package, and maintaining forks on github seems like a bit of a
headache to me.. But I'll gladly incorporate improvements made by
others back into my own code base, with credits of course.