Re: code deployment through php

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 11:47 AM, rene7705 <rene7705@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I can't use anything like git on my shared hoster. But I suppose I could
> use something like git at home, and use a sync script like I posted in my
> OP on the shared hoster.

Maybe you git gurus can help me along a bit further.

I've managed to install msysgit and get it to work on my windows dev box,
so far so good.

Now, I'm wondering how to set up my repositories. The last cvs I used was
Microsoft's visual source control back in the 90's, so I'm very rusty. At
the same time, I'd prefer not to experiment too much..

I've got a tree structure in a folder called simply "code", that I have in
several locations on my windows box.

Each site that I develop for has a folder in .../htdocs/sites/somedomain.com,
and many of these sites will need a copy of the common "code" folder in
them. I can restrict myself to developing in one domain's subdir only.
The non-common code for each domain is designed to run from any
$_SERVER['SERVER_NAME'] and any sub-directory it happens to be in. In other
words, http://my-dev-box.biz/sites/somedomain.com/ will show the same thing
from windowze as http://somedomain.com will from shared hosted linux.

I would also like to version control the non-common code for each domain.

And I would like to store the entire repository on my windows box at home
in 2 or 3 specific locations (on seperate disks encrypted with truecrypt.org,
and also a truecrypted usb disk, if and when that's plugged in).

For distributing the common code to the shared hosted live server (my
workflow is to check finalized changes on my win box against all my sites
that used the common code base, before deploying to the shared hoster live
server), I can simply FTP one finalized copy and use the simplest of rm -rf
and cp -r commands in a short script to distribute the changes. I could
even do without the PHP filesync code I posted earlier (altho it was fun to
build! :)

That darn hoster of mine won't support git on shared hosting, only on much
more expensive virtual dedicated and dedicated plans :(
But I've also found
http://serverfault.com/questions/26836/setting-up-a-git-repo-on-my-godaddy-hosting-plan
 and
http://www.lyraphase.com/wp/uncategorized/how-to-build-git-for-a-host-with-no-compiler/
that
show me how I might get git running on my (kinda lame now) shared hosting
account.

Maybe a stupid question, but would perhaps copying the common code around
with a simple script be faster than multiple pushes by git?