Re: strict nannying ...

On 15 Apr 2012, at 15:02, Lester Caine wrote:

> Stuart Dallas wrote:
>> No code duplication but clear separation between static and instantiated usage. However, this is not the best way to structure this code IMO. The better option would be to extract the static parts into a separate class, and use that new class from the instantiated version.
>
> I've sort of got a problem with that since duplicating every content package class and then deciding which version I should be accessing does not make sense.

I didn't suggest duplicating anything, just separating the elements so there's a clear distinction between static and instantiated. This is basic software engineering if you ask me. I was going to rant about defensive programming here, but life's too short!

> I'm slowly pulling the 'static' elements into their own function and leaving the instantiated elements alone but it's slow work. Those people who kept telling me 'just fix the errors' simply don't understand how complex that CAN be :( I've only worked my way through half a dozen packages and I've 20 or so to go ... all just to bring things 'up to acceptable php code' ;)

It is as simple as that. Fix the errors. There may be a lot of them, and there may be complex interplay between different parts of your code, but it's still as simple as just fixing the errors.

-Stuart

--
Stuart Dallas
3ft9 Ltd