Is the php sockets extension experimental?

Hello,

in the packet description of the php5-sockets in the SuSE Linux
Enterprise Server 11 (SLES11) is
the package php5-sockets in the additional SDK available, but marked
as "experimental" (see below).
Is this the true, where can I find this Information, or is this only a
historical relic?

Are there differences in this extension between PHP 5.2.x, 5.3.x and 5.4?

Can I rely on this the extension for a productive environment?

Thanks in advance,

Meike

~ # zypper info php5-sockets
Refreshing service 'SMT-http_delds01_entiretec_com'.
Reading installed packages...

Information for package php5-sockets:

Repository: SLES11SP2-SDK
Name: php5-sockets
Version: 5.2.14-0.7.24.1
Arch: x86_64
Vendor: SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Nuernberg, Germany
Support Level: unknown
Installed: No
A low-level interface to the socket communication functionsbased on the popular
BSD sockets, providing the possibilityto act as a socket server as well as a
client.This extension is experimental!