Re: Script execution after window close

On 4 Mar 2012, at 15:31, Nibin V M wrote:

> in fact....I really need to remove the file ( which will be created for
> every access - making a copy from another location ). I can't leave that
> file alone for ever in the user disk space! :(

Ash is right in that this is exactly what sessions are used for, so unless the data you are storing for the user is fairly large you'd be better off using them: http://php.net/session

Why do you need to copy the file? Might be an idea to describe what you're actually doing rather than focus on this particular part. Do you make changes to the file after you've copied it? If not, why not use the original copy? If you do modify is, how and why? I'll bet there's a better way to do what you're doing.

If you absolutely need to make these copies, your best bet is to have a script executed by cron periodically to clean up files with a last modified timestamp older than n seconds, and make sure each page request calls the touch function for that user's file to updated the file's timestamp.

-Stuart

--
Stuart Dallas
3ft9 Ltd