Re: Re: Re: What's Your Favorite Design Pattern?

On Wed, Feb 08, 2012 at 02:25:00PM +0000, Tim Streater wrote:

[snip]

 Mmmm. Well, at this point I feel underwhelmed - but its entirely
> possible that I'm missing something profound [1].

Not really.

> After looking at some of the reviews of the book you mention on
> Amazon, I might be inclined to get a simpler intro.

Um, yeah. It's very "meta".

(That's what I love about "The C Programming Language". It's a little
over half an inch thick in paperback, explains the whole language
clearly and concisely, and has barely been revised since 1988. I'm not
sure you could ask for more in a technical book.)

 [1] In June 1982 (or was it '83?) I visited PARC with a small group
> from SLAC. We saw the Star or whatever it was, with bit-mapped display
> and mouse pointer. Whoosh !! (Well, to be fair, we'd gone along to
> look into XNS).

I remember working for Xerox (copy center employee) around that time,
and seeing all kinds of talk in the company materials about *Ethernet*.
They explained the basic protocol and compared it to token ring, and I
just thought, "Hmm, yes, that seems like a pretty clever way to go about
networking."

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster