Re: Headers on smart phone browsers

Stuart Dallas wrote:
On 6 Feb 2012, at 21:12, Marc Guay wrote:

the way your site renders should be purely based upon the size of the display.

Although I mostly agree with this statement, it ignores the most
interesting aspects of mobile technology, such as being able to ask
the user for their GPS location and deliver content accordingly.  I
worked on some real estate websites that would show the user the
houses for sale within a certai distance from where they were
standing, and then leverage Google Maps for a "get directions from
where you are" feature.

The Mobile Web list has had some interesting discussions regarding this stuff...

On the contrary, my statement dealt only with the way a site renders, not the content it renders. We should definitely be taking advantage of the additional features of mobile devices where it makes sense because that's where the real game-changing power lies.

-Stuart

Right, the OP doesn't state the purpose exactly (design, function, etc..)... but even if it was design, as noted in Mari's link toward the bottom, responsive web design is not supported the same in all platforms... this is why I think, in many situations, a mix of UA detection and versatile design is still relevant (even in design).

Donovan

--
D Brooke