Re: PDF Printing instead?

On Thu, Jan 05, 2012 at 03:14:58PM -0500, Jim Giner wrote:

> ok - somebody has advised that I should not be trying to print to a printer
> from my website php script.
>
> The suggestion of creating a pdf and sending to the client was made.  How do
> I install the pdf functions?  I've never had to install a package before or
> is that something my hoster does?

The fpdf and/or tcpdf libraries are the standard answers to this. The
fpdf library is more primitive, but if your needs are simple, it's
considerably less "bulky" than tcpdf. Installation on either one should
be very simple, as in, download the package, put it in a subdirectory,
read the documentation, and start.

I use fpdf constantly for printing invoices, reports, etc. Once you've
built a PDF (by following the instructions for the specific package),
dump it in a subdirectory and provide a link to it on a webpage. The
user can then simply click on the link and their browser will open it
and provide the native (usually Adobe Reader) interface for viewing and
printing it.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster