Re: Friday Distraction

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 12:38 PM, Tedd Sperling <tedd.sperling@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Oct 21, 2011, at 12:27 PM, Daniel Brown wrote:
>
>>    I'll get this week's Friday distraction kicked off here with
>> something shared with me by a Facebook friend.  If you're on Facebook,
>> try this.  It's pretty sweet (and safe for work and kids).
>>
>>        http://www.takethislollipop.com/
>>
>> --
>> </Daniel P. Brown>
>
> Not meaning to be ignorant, but why?
>
> What's the point here?
>
> I have grandkids and about a dozen other species of relatives/friends trying to get me to do stuff (i.e., like/friend/post/reply/accept) on FaceBook et al, but I don't see the point. It looks like a total waste of time. Why should I care if someone post something on their FaceBook account? I would rather spend my time programming, teaching programming, and reading about programming.
>
> Maybe I'm just getting too old for this stuff.

The *point* is to have a common area for communicating with various
people. It's not like any of these services force you to listen to
people you don't want to hear from. You get to pick who to listen to.
If someone keeps sending you what they had for lunch, you can easily
drop them. The plus side of FB for me is that's where my kids and
family and friends hang out. That's why I'm there. As far as silly
distractions like the above, well, those come in all shapes and sizes
no matter where you go in life. It's like saying "I'm not going to use
the library because they play silly games during kids time." The modus
of talking about ourselves has changed from one-to-one to
many-to-many, largely because of the web and it's ability to link
people in many ways. It is most definitely less personal, you don't
have crafted communication from one person to another very much any
more.

It's definitely not for everyone. Some people can't deal with crowds
(either online or offline) and so will still opt for the crafted
one-to-one correspondence. But from personal experience I know that
more and more people are going to many-to-many route and to simply
ignore it and "not get it" seems like a missed chance at learning
something new.