Re: Server Side Include translator as PHP functions

On Oct 9, 2011, at 7:43 PM, Tommy Pham wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 9, 2011 at 8:41 AM, Complex <complex.confusion@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Tedd,
>>
>> The crucial detail you're lookign for is my lack of choice or control
>> in the matter, for all sorts of reasons that are actually quite stupid
>> but not possible for *me* to change, and not possible for anyone else
>> to change quickly. Thus I am looking for a solution to the problem at
>> hand, instead of a suggestion for what the entire org should be doing
>> instead. I know what they should be doing instead, but that's not my
>> decision. It's not like I'm building a new website this way; I'm
>> trying to move forwards with an existing and large website. The more
>> different code-bases we have for different parts of the site, the
>> harder it will be to actually change to something else (PHP-based, I
>> pray).
>>

> At the time when I was working with ASP and SSI, I suggested my client to
> better rewrite the application in OOP language then do patchworks.  But he
> _insisted_ on keeping existing code base.  So I did patchworks here and
> there.  It got to the point where he finally wanted some additional features
> much later that it was impossible to do with ASP and SSI.  It was then that
> he finally decided to go with my suggestions, which is months later.  During
> that time, I could have easily rewritten the application in PHP.  That's why
> I suggested you to consider the site's function and features.  It maybe just
> one thing that the client/boss wants now, then another, and another...
> etc...  Eventually, you're going to through the same thing I did.
>
> Good luck,
> Tommy

Not me.

I pick and choose my clients based upon several things -- one is their ability to fully understand what they want. And if what they want exceeds their understanding and thus my comfort level, then I walk.

Live is too short to work for ignorant people. Realize that if they don't understand the job, then they won't appreciate the effort, and you won't be paid as you should.

Several years ago, one guy asked me how much do I charge. At that time I said "$50 per hour" He replied "I've never paid more than $25 per hour -- would you consider working for that?" I replied "Sure, but it's going to take me twice as long to get anything done." Needless to say, I didn't get hired.

A year later he returned and we had the identical conversation again. It was clear that he didn't like the programmers he hired at $25 per hour, but he continued looking.

In addition to failing to get what he wanted, he didn't realized that his time is also worth something and he was wasting it by measuring programmers by a single metric. Some clients are simply not worth the effort and that's my point.

Cheers,

tedd