Re: Generate CMS based on database schema

On Fri, 2011-09-30 at 14:35 -0400, Marc Guay wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> I'm looking for a FOSS equivalent to PHPMaker, or at least something
> which comes close to it.  For those who don't know the program, it
> syncs with your database and allows you to generate an entire CMS
> system based on it.  To be clear, I am not looking for a CRUD code
> generator, I'm looking for something that can generate the whole
> shabang so I can get on with it.
>
> Perhaps someone could sassily tell me why I don't need this tool or
> propose another method, that would be good too.  I really enjoy
> building sites up from the DB schema but hate creating web interfaces
> for editing them.  I've also taken a stab at Drupal, which is like
> doing it the other way around, using the CMS to create the schema, but
> a lot of the time it seems ass backwards and I'm not in the mood to
> get another hand cramp from clicking through the interface for 6 hours
> setting everything up.
>
> Marc

It sounds like what you're looking is an ORM system. We're trying out
using a plugin for the CodeIgniter framework at the moment called
Bonfire (http://cibonfire.com/) which aims to build a basic CMS around
the DB model. I've not used it myself, but a colleague is. He's said
that it's basic, and only in alpha at the moment, but to me it does look
potentially promising.

The Cake framework does revolve around its DB schema, and enforces
certain rules for relations between the tables (without having to create
foreign keys, it simulates a kind of 'soft' foreign key through the
code). That said, Cake is pretty huge and slow compared to CodeIgniter.

--
Thanks,
Ash