Generate CMS based on database schema

Howdy,

I'm looking for a FOSS equivalent to PHPMaker, or at least something
which comes close to it.  For those who don't know the program, it
syncs with your database and allows you to generate an entire CMS
system based on it.  To be clear, I am not looking for a CRUD code
generator, I'm looking for something that can generate the whole
shabang so I can get on with it.

Perhaps someone could sassily tell me why I don't need this tool or
propose another method, that would be good too.  I really enjoy
building sites up from the DB schema but hate creating web interfaces
for editing them.  I've also taken a stab at Drupal, which is like
doing it the other way around, using the CMS to create the schema, but
a lot of the time it seems ass backwards and I'm not in the mood to
get another hand cramp from clicking through the interface for 6 hours
setting everything up.

Marc