Re: book quest

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 5:29 PM, Jim Lucas <lists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 9/28/2011 3:26 PM, Bastien Koert wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 6:20 PM, Kirk Bailey <kbailey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> >> The best book for a beginner? No, don't tell me php.net, I hear that
> one
> >> already, and while it is indeed good, I want something in a dead tree
> >> edition I can canny around and smoke as needed.
> >>
> >> --
> >> end
> >>
> >> Very Truly yours,
> >>                 - Kirk Bailey,
> >>                   Largo Florida
> >>
> >>                       kniht
> >>                      +-----+
> >>                      | BOX |
> >>                      +-----+
> >>                       think
> >>

> >> --
> >>

> > I had great success with Wrox PHP Programming and PHP Essentials by
> > Julie C. Meloni
> >
> > The latter is dated, but was clearly written.
> >

> PHP Essentials (first edition) by Julie C. Meloni was the first book about
> PHP
> that I ever bought.  I did not find it very useful.
>
> The second book was "Core PHP First Edition" by Leon Atkinson.  It was more
> like
> an encyclopedia/dictionary with some decent examples.
>
> Around 2001 I started participating the general mailing list.  I haven't
> bought
> another book on PHP since.  PHP.net manual, the php-general mailing list
> and the
> wonderful members of this list, and Google have provided answers for all
> the
> questions I have ever needed to ask since.
>
> Jim Lucas

Is there something wrong with the PHP.net manual?  Or you just want
something physical to be able read any where and stay unplugged?  If the
latter and there's nothing wrong with the official manual, try downloading
the chm or single html file and print as you go.  No need to lug around
thick that manual/reference ;)

Regards,
Tommy