Re: book quest

On 9/28/2011 3:26 PM, Bastien Koert wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 6:20 PM, Kirk Bailey <kbailey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> The best book for a beginner? No, don't tell me php.net, I hear that one
>> already, and while it is indeed good, I want something in a dead tree
>> edition I can canny around and smoke as needed.
>>
>> --
>> end
>>
>> Very Truly yours,
>>                 - Kirk Bailey,
>>                   Largo Florida
>>
>>                       kniht
>>                      +-----+
>>                      | BOX |
>>                      +-----+
>>                       think
>>

>> --
>>

> I had great success with Wrox PHP Programming and PHP Essentials by
> Julie C. Meloni
>
> The latter is dated, but was clearly written.

PHP Essentials (first edition) by Julie C. Meloni was the first book about PHP
that I ever bought.  I did not find it very useful.

The second book was "Core PHP First Edition" by Leon Atkinson.  It was more like
an encyclopedia/dictionary with some decent examples.

Around 2001 I started participating the general mailing list.  I haven't bought
another book on PHP since.  PHP.net manual, the php-general mailing list and the
wonderful members of this list, and Google have provided answers for all the
questions I have ever needed to ask since.

Jim Lucas