RE: dev to production server

Now there's a contradiction. ;-)

Anyways, I do agree with Alex though. Setup and maintenance of a five nines
server is non-trivial. You might look into one of the cheap hosting services
that use VMs to start with. If you out-grow that, it's pretty easy to
migrate your VM to iron. A buddy of mine just joined http://www.linode.com
and seems to really like it.

Having said that, I would STRONGLY suggest you ditch the whole XAMP, WAMP,
MAMP, WTF? they call it these days. Setup VirtualBox (it's free and cross
platform). Then setup a VM to be as close to EXACTLY as your production
environment as possible (sans hardware specs of course). I mean, same
distro, same tools, same versions, same configs, same directory structures.
Develop on that. Setup a repository (subversion is easy, well supported and
battle tested). Then just do an export from SVN to your PROD box.

I have some code snippets that you may find useful here:
http://daevid.com/content/examples/snippets.php
(And the first person that gives me grief that the page doesn't work in some
obscure browser like Safari or something I will bitch-slap. I *know* this. I
don't CARE. This is what happens when you use a Framework - and why I have
such distain for them. Ceiton went (.)(.) up and so now I'm stuck with
minified code in German no less. Use Firefox or IE, or change your
user-agent string to trick the page if you insist on using
Chrome/Safari/Opera/etc. .... or don't go to the page at all, it's no sweat
off my ____ )

So I digress... back on task...

You also should setup a test VM too. So deploy from DEV to TEST first, let
someone (preferably besides yourself) hammer away at that, and once you feel
it's stable -- in a few days or week -- push to PROD. You have to let the
code 'bake' on test to make sure there are no regression bugs or new bugs.

I work for a company now where the CTO (by default since it's his company
;-) ) constantly pushes to PROD too early IMHO. It's bitten us more than
once. He's so eager to get the new features in front of customers, he
doesn't see the potential damage it's doing to the reputation. Granted our
customers are pretty forgiving, but still, I would prefer to see a longer
DEV-TEST-PROD cycle...