Re: dev to production server

If you have to ask these questions, i don't think you should be the person
to do it, i'm sorry.

I wouldn't recommend doing it on a mac, or even one single box, i wouldnt
recommend doig it on non-server hardware, infact most of the time i would
recommend you just buy already pre-sertup servers so that all you have to do
is set up your database, upload your application and be done with it, VPS or
a ded box will serve the purpose quite nicely depending on your needs.

It's not rocket science, but building a production server requires some
know-how and a bit of experience. You need to know each component to
configure it well, you need to know the OS, you need to secure it, and you
may need to tweak it to perform better and you need to know your application
to maximize performance of all of the components, and you need to be up to
date on current trends and technology to again, maximize your throughput.
You need to know systems and you need to think solutions, unless you really
dont care, but that's how you end up with a 5rps website that's about as
secure as a taped carboard box. Infact, in my practice, i took a poorly
implemented box that could only serve 5rps at 128M mem usage (and climbing)
and 100% cpu utilization, and got it to serve 340rps using 14MB memory with
no visible cpu load (like sub 2% spikes) and with no code modifications; and
i could take it farther, infact i did on the testing server where i got it
to over 600rps, but i only had 4 hours to find, tweak and test before
pushing to production and i wasn't allowed to tweak the bone-stock OS or
build anything (held true for the 600+ mark)... Some day i wanna take the
smallest ec2 instance and see how far i can really push it, though the
people i did the above for found it pretty impressive that they could click
on any page on the site (it was a social media experiment and so parts were
constantly updated) and have it loaded instantly, even when i was pounding
on the server...

Anyways not trying to stroke my ego by any means, or tell you that you
shouldn't do it, infact you should do it, its a lot of fun and great
perplexing headache for a while, all i'm trying to say is that you should
think about either buying a production environment, or you should really
start learning yourself some advanced OS and lots of layer 7...

Just my $.02

--
The trouble with programmers is that you can never tell what a programmer is
doing until it’s too late.  ~Seymour Cray