Re: dev to production server

On 09/07/2011 12:24 AM, Chris Stinemetz wrote:
> Does anyone have a procedure or know of any tutorials that explain how
> to take a mac/apache/php/mysql dev environment and converting it to
> production environment?
>
> Basically I want to host my own web site on my local machine now that
> I have finished developing it.
>
> Thanks in advance!

I'm not familiar with MAC, however, there are projects out there that
provide everything you need, for the most part. Look up XAMPP, I used to
use this in the past before I setup my own personal server.

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-macosx.html

This should provide you with an environment necessary for development
and production. I currently run Arch Linux on my personal server and
have installed Apache, PHP, MySQL and so on via the package manager. For
my dev/prod process, I'm using Boilerplate, which provides a default
HTML5/CSS3 template. However, the nice thing about it is, they've also
provided a small build process using ANT. I've modified the ANT build
script to my needs and simply build my production environment using
that, keeping my dev code in tact and readable :) They've integrated the
YUI Compressor into their build process is simply minifies all CSS and
JavaScript.

Anyway, enough about that, just an example of what can be done. There's
always the option of compiling everything from source as well :)

James